Oct 23, 2013

LOCALLY GROWN // 01


I'm so excited to debut this blog series. Through the help of many sweet Etsy shop owners, I've been able to bring to you great selections focusing on the people selling awe-inspiring products who live in my backyard (or just a few hours from). 

First up in my series is a gal named Bess from Ruston, LA. She has a quaint, rustic shop named
Pippa Marx Studio. With photos that are simply dreamy and styled so well she could make Anthropologie blush, Bess is sure to wow any shopper searching for an eclectic, well-lived feeling for their home.





What got you started in selling vintage items on Etsy?

When I started selling repurposed and vintage décor, I was selling in local antique and vintage shops, in addition to a couple of local Facebook marketplace pages. I still do both of those, actually.  But I realized after a while that selling locally posed limits as far as style goes.  I love love love interior design and all different styles. I'm a sucker for rustic, industrial décor right now, but I also love those modern, chic, eclectically styled interiors.  In my area, rustic/shabby chic style is really popular, so that’s my focus locally. I wanted to find a place where I could reach a wider customer base, who appreciate all different styles, and Etsy has such a diverse customer base that it is the perfect spot for that!


How do you find your unique and diverse inventory?

SHOP SHOP SHOP!  I shop almost everyday.  I’m always searching for great little treasures wherever I go.  You’d be surprised what you find even on the street if you keep your eyes peeled!


What grabs your attention when your out searching for the next piece to sell?  

I really can't say that there's anything in particular that grabs my attention.  If I can picture it in my mind in an awesome environment, then I buy it!


How often do you plan on selling an item, but fall in love with it and keep it for your own?

Well that’s what is so amazing about my job!  I fall in love with everything I buy, and I get to use it in my home until it sells and then I get to replace it with something else!  I’m a creative person, so even before I started selling vintage décor I would constantly change and rearrange my home.  I love to create beautiful spaces, but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to just “leave it alone.”  I always have to try something new, or I'll  get bored!


Would you ever open a storefront?  Or does having an Etsy shop make reaching a broader audience more successful?

What I love most about selling on Etsy is the freedom it allows me to have in my work day.  I had an outdoor apparel store here in Ruston a couple of years ago and I realized that I don’t enjoy sitting in one spot all day!  I like to be able to go shopping for new things at the spur of the moment or when an unexpected opportunity to buy something super cool comes up!  This lifestyle is perfect for the creative person and for those of us who hate time commitments.  Soooo, to answer your question… I would love to open a store one day!- but only when I am able to hire someone to actually be in a store when I cant be there.  But I imagine that I will always keep my Etsy shop open because of the diverse and awesome customer base!


Your item layouts in photos are so beautifully orchestrated.  Do you have any background in merchandising or marketing?

 I went to LSU and graduated with a degree in textiles/apparel/merchandising with a concentration in merchandising.   And I've worked in retail for many years so I've had a lot of practice.






No comments:

Post a Comment