Aug 20, 2013

A LITTLE Q&A WITH EMILY RICHE

{Matilda B. at Alegria Fashion Show in New Orleans}


Fresh off of showing her newest line at Alegria just this past weekend, Emily Riché (pronounced ree-shay), a New Orleans-based fashion designer of the line Matilda B., sat down with me to answer a few questions about her life's passion for making gorgeous garments. Although she is completely down to earth and sweet as pie, Emily has every reason to brag. She not only won Alegria 2013, and the People's Choice Award for Uncommon Thread 2011, but she's shown at the New Orleans Fashion Week twice.

When and how did you start learning to sew? 

I started learning how to sew about 12 years ago. My mom taught me. She is a beautiful sewer. She lives in Dallas so when we visited each other we would make something together. A skirt, a baby outfit, curtains. After about 5 years of sewing as a hobby I became very passionate about making clothes. The more I learned, the more I wanted to sew. My mom got me started, but much of my education now is self-taught. 

How did you come up with your line's name?

My line is named Matilda B. It was a nickname my dad had for me. When I was a child, my aunt and grandmother joked they were kidnapping my sister and I instead of bringing us to our parents. And they said they were renaming me Matilda Boomerang. I cried and cried ...over the name, not the kidnapping. Anyway, the nickname stuck. My dad passed away after Katrina, before any of my sewing success. So the name is a tribute to him.

Do you have a process for making your collections? 

I spend months researching. Months. I study fashion magazines for trends, I make mood boards, watch movies, make a million sketches, study sewing books. I overload my self with a bunch of inspiration and information, I buy fabrics, then I just dive in and start sewing. I'm always surprised with how a collection turns out. It usually never ends up being what I thought it would be but I see all my research in the finished product.

How has been being a mom of three boys impacted your time for designing? How have you learned to manage all of that? 

Being a working mother of 3 is my biggest challenge. I work out of a studio at home and it's hard to work without interruption with 3 boys in the house. I take it one day at a time and drink a lot of coffee. I don't have the juggling act figured out yet but I know I want both a family and a career, and I'll put up with lack of sleep and gray hair till I do figure it out.

What was the worst disaster to happen when making a project? How did you handle and fix what happened? 

Hmmm. There have been many disasters. Big shout out to hot glue guns and safety pins! The worst was when I made a mistake on a bridesmaid's dress. I don't know how it happened but it came out way too short. You could see her underwear. I had to make an entirely new dress overnight. I check, double check, and triple check hems now.

Do you feel like a pro now that you've done it for a few years or is every time different and nerve-wrecking? 

I am starting to feel like a pro. People recognize me around town and my work is known in the industry, which blows me away. But there is always a time while I'm sewing a collection when I feel like a total loser, that everything sucks, it's all wrong. This time usually comes after very little sleep and too much coffee. But I get over it pretty quick. I think artists have a responsibility to accept that some people won't like your work and to just do what you are inspired to do regardless of anyone else.


If you could name a few influences that help you find your brand's identity what would you name? 

Tough question. I guess I really enjoy the freedom to make whatever the heck I want to. I just finished my Fall 2013 ready-to-wear collection which was heavily influenced by artist Mark Ryden, Tim Burton movies, and the 1950's. Now I'm working on a wearable art garment out of unconventional materials like wire, pillow stuffing and ICE, next week I have some slip covers to make for a client. I'm never bored. I suppose New Orleans is my biggest influence. It's full of eclectic people who love life and appreciate the creative community. I hope my clothes convey that kind of attitude.


No comments:

Post a Comment